The University of Mississippi Medical Center experienced another momentous year of growth growing in 2014. Big stories have become the norm, and the past 12 months were no different.
Strong leadership and 10,000 committed employees at UMMC create an environment where doing the unexpected is expected. Health care, education and research mix to produce stories that cause people on and off this campus to take notice of where this institution is headed and how it plans to take Mississippi with it.
A healthier Mississippi is the destination, and some of the stories listed below are lights along the path to get there.
Here are some of the items, sometimes sad, that put UMMC in the state and national news in 2014.
We at the Division of Public Affairs have been happy to tell the story of your accomplishments, and look forward to doing the same in what we expect to be another headline-making year in 2015.
- Governor Phil Bryant announces a collaboration between UMMC’s Center for Telehealth, North Sunflower Medical Center and several corporate partners to create the Diabetes Telehealth Network: http://bit.ly/149o2zd
- UMMC expands its commitment to the health of all Mississippians with the acquisition of the former Grenada Lake Medical Center: http://bit.ly/1AesJ6Q
- “There are more feet!” - Extremely rare identical quadruplets born at UMMC: http://bit.ly/1xtBeIR
- Dr. John Hall, professor of physiology and biophysics, named SEC Professor of the Year: http://bit.ly/1vpmyGB
- An affiliation agreement is approved between UMMC and Methodist Rehabilitation Center: http://bit.ly/QIFyD4
- Emergency teams respond to Louisville when a deadly and destructive tornado destroys Winston County Medical Center: http://bit.ly/1tf6pns
- The man at the helm, Dr. Keeton, announces he will step down from his role as leader of the Medical Center: http://bit.ly/1ktE8bB
- The Myrlie Evers-Williams Institute for the Elimination of Health Disparities opens its doors in the Jackson Medical Mall: http://bit.ly/1ltCRBi
- Dr. Hannah Gay announces that, sadly, the Mississippi Baby is once again showing signs of the HIV virus: http://bit.ly/1juFjcP
- The First Family of Football, the Mannings, help announce a new fund in their legendary name aimed at boosting UMMC’s commitment to a healthier Mississippi: http://bit.ly/1rLQyNO
- University Heart cuts a ceremonial EKG ribbon, officially opening a new building to house all heart services and improve patient experience: http://bit.ly/1Bk7eQi
- UMMC expands its relationship with Mayo Clinic with formal collaboration agreement: http://bit.ly/1wwPhd0
- Part of building previously occupied by UMMC’s rehab services is retrofitted as an Ebola isolation unit: http://bit.ly/11lJ0IN
- Champion of health-care fairness and equality in Mississippi and social-justice pioneer Dr. Aaron Shirley passes: http://bit.ly/1HSttSp
- UMMC acquires Jackson-area Courthouse fitness centers in joint purchase/gift transaction: http://bit.ly/1Ac8yoM