Student Interest Groups
The following groups are very active both on and off campus. They assume leadership roles that give them a voice in the field of dentistry now and for their future. Members of these groups organize many events that include dental students, school-aged children and college students as well as faculty, staff and alumni. They participate in many volunteer activities and reach out to the community through health fairs and other events.
Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
The Academy of General Dentistry is a national organization made up of over 38,000 members nationwide, and provides general dentists, students, and dental team members with the education, advocacy, and information they need to advance themselves in the dental profession. The AGD supports students along their paths through dental school, graduation, and beyond to ensure a smooth transition that enables quality patient care.
The new AGD student chapter here at UMMC was formed to represent the interests of current students in order to serve their needs as future general dentists. From continuing education (CE) and leadership opportunities to one-on-one expert advice, the student AGD chapter provides students with the tools needed to plan ahead for a successful dental career. Another important aspect of the AGD is advocacy. As student members of the AGD, students will have opportunities to learn how to advocate in an effective, professional way that will have the potential to impact the future of the dental profession.
Overall, the AGD is an organization committed to the excellence of the general dentist. For more information on the new student AGD chapter, feel free to contact any of the officers listed below.
- President - Jack Cutrer, D3
- Vice President - Ashlyn Myers, D3
- Secretary/Treasurer - N/A
- Legislative Committee
- D4 - Kyle Donald
- D4 - Caroline Pruitt
- D3 - Ashlyn Myers
- D2 - Aaron Winters
- D1 - Jake Fanning
- Class Representatives
- D4 - Zac Smith
- D3 - Jack Cutrer
- D2 - Tripp Savage
- D1 - Bayley Graves
American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
The American Dental Education Association is a nationally recognized organization that focuses on dental education and the people that influence it. They work with the American Dental Association to continue to give dental students and current dentists a bright future.
The ADEA student chapter at UMMC is a branch of the national group, the Council of Students, Residents and Fellows. Our goals are to educate the community, inform dental students of current events and encourage evidence-based dentistry. Our current project involves collecting and recycling dental materials with the help of Colgate.
- President - Landon Wilson, D3
- Vice President - Logan Pitfield, D3
- Secretary - Casey Park, D3
- Treasurer - Cole Williams, D3
- Curriculum Committee Representative - Cole Williams, D3
- Class Representatives
- D4 - Ashley Saulsberry
- D3 - Lucas Bishop
- D2 - Blake Dunaway
- D1 - Andy Li
- DH4 - Sara Whitehead
- DH3 - Mary Cross
American Student Dental Association (ASDA)
The American Student Dental Association is a national student-run organization that protects and advances the rights, interests and welfare of dental students. It introduces students to lifelong involvement in organized dentistry and provides services, information, education, representation and advocacy.
The UMMC School of Dentistry chapter is extremely active including organizing the annual Fall Golf Tournament and Freshman Welcome Cookout and the Dental Exhibit Fair. Membership fees are paid by the school. Members can attend the ASDA Annual Session, National Leadership Conference and National Dental Student Lobby Day. Find valuable information on the website.
- D4 - Chandler Oldenburg & Colby Roberts
- D3 - Caroline May & Drew Burnham
- D2 - Caroline Carmichael & Cole Blue
- D1 - Mary Catherine Sobiesk & Dalton Ford
Council chair positions
- Senior Legislative Liaison - N/A
- Junior Legislative Liaison - Hunter Horton, D3
- Membership Chair - Logan Pitfield, D3
- Social Media Chair - Jordan Jackson, D3
- Community Service Chair - Cameron Curtis, D3
- Wellness Chair - Jessica Brewer, D3
ASDA Fall Golf Tournament
The 22nd annual ASDA Fall Golf Tournament will be heald on August 16, 2021 at Lake Caroline starting at 12:30 PM. For additional information please contact Caroline Carmichael or Cole Blue.
Global Health Student Association (GHSA)
- President - Austin Dillon, D3
- Vice President - Payton Lane, D3
- Secretary - Jessica Franklin, D2
- Treasurer - Ashley Holliman, D3
- Class Representatives
- D4 - N/A
- D3 - Eason Weeks
- D2 - N/A
- D1 - Joseph Upton
Hispanic Student Dental Association (HSDA)
The Hispanic Student Dental Association is a group that is open to all dental students. The group is involved in outreach for minorities in the greater Jackson metro area with an emphasis on the Hispanic population.
Meetings are held on a monthly basis to discuss plans for future projects. Members participate in speaking events on and off campus, fundraisers, and attend national and regional meetings in different parts of the country to represent UMMC.
Mississippi Association of Women Dentists (MAWD)
- President - Ellen Gratwick, D4
- Vice President - Anna Grace Clayton, D3
- Secretary/Treasurer - Julianna Woodward, D3
- Fundraiser Coordinator - Joanna Seo, D4
- Dr. Laura Asbill and Dr. Alicia Rose
Student American Dental Hygienists Association (SADHA)
- President - Amber Savell, DH4
- Vice President - Cassie Ingram, DH4
- Secretary/Treasurer - Allyson May, DH4
- Historian - Bailey King, DH4
- Committee Chair - Sara Whitehead, DH4
Student National Dental Association (SNDA)
The Student National Dental Association was established to connect, support and advance the needs of underrepresented dental students. When you join SNDA, you have the power of organized dentistry at your fingertips. Membership gives you a voice and a chance to be part of a strong network of peers working toward the common goals of improving the profession of dentistry for you and other minority dental students.
The UMMC SNDA chapter is active both on and off campus. They are actively involved in community service. They also work with the Office of Student Affairs to host the annual Impressions Program to reach underrepresented students from colleges throughout Mississippi.
For more information, click here.
- President - Courtney Jones, D3
- Vice President - Teleshia Johnson, D2
- Secretary/Treasurer - Ericka James, D3
- Historian - Marqua Lofton, D3
- Community Service Chair - SheKerra Strong, D3
- Social Chair - Natalie Truong, D3
- National Delegate - N/A
- Class Representatives
- D4 - Ashley Saulsberry & Sean Kang
- D3 - Marqua Lofton & SheKerra Strong
- D2 - Teleshia Johnson & Johntre Goudy
- D1 - Marlo Morris & Devon Coleman
Student Professionalism and Ethics Association (SPEA)
The Student Professionalism and Ethics Association in Dentistry is a national, student-driven association that was established to promote and support a student's lifelong commitment to ethical behavior in order to benefit the patients they serve and further the dental profession. The purpose of the student chapter at the University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Dentistry is to increase the overall level of ethics and professionalism at the School of Dentistry.
By uniting the community of students, faculty and staff of UMMC SOD, SPEA will promote lifelong thought and action in the arena of dental ethics. Through various programs, activities and associations, SPEA aims to foster an environment where ethical and professional behavior issues can be addressed in an open, unbiased forum.
SPEA aims to further the ethics education of every student at UMMC SOD and help achieve the development of ethical and professional behavior in the educational setting that will accompany the students throughout their professional careers. SPEA also aims to form a student-centered committee to mediate and resolve concerns relative to professional behavior.
- President - Justin Starnes, D4
- Vice President - Christina Legradi, D4
- Secretary - Jacob Fortenberry, D2
- Treasurer - Courtney Jones, D3
- Membership Coordinator - Kelbe Logan, D2
The School of Dentistry Student Research Group at University of Mississippi Medical Center is a branch of the American Association for Dental Research (AADR) National Student Research Group (NSRG) and is composed of dental students committed to research and the advancement of further education.
- President - Catie Lee Bruni, D4
- Vice President - Casey Park, D3
- Secretary - Jesse Austin, D4
- Treasurer - Jaccare Jauregui Ulloa
- Graduate Student Advocate/Editor - Kadie Parker