You may be interested in dental hygiene as a career if you think you would enjoy:
- Helping people improve their health;
- Providing direct patient care and working with people;
- Being a part of the health care team;
- Working with your hands;
- Various career opportunities in areas such as clinical practice, public health, education or research; and
- The ability to have flexible working hours.
The UMMC School of Dentistry's Dental Hygiene department offers two programs of study:
- The entry-level, traditional baccalaureate program is a dental hygiene program for students who want to earn a dental hygiene license. Upon completion of the five semester, 22-month face-to-face program, students earn a bachelor of science degree and are prepared to apply for and obtain a dental hygiene license. Application deadline for the traditional program is February 1st. In-person interviews are conducted by invitation for qualified applicants on the first Friday of March.
- The dental hygiene advanced standing online program (DHAS program) enables licensed dental hygienists the opportunity to earn a bachelor of science degree in dental hygiene. Application deadline for the DHAS program is June 15th.
UMMC serves as a health science campus providing traditional dental hygiene students with a variety of clinical opportunities. In addition to a varied exposure of clinical sites, students have access to a medical library, diverse patient populations and opportunities for interprofessional and intraprofessional education.