Externship and Observership
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Externship
The OMS department provides 2 different options for students interested in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Students will spend time in both the outpatient clinic setting where ambulatory surgery is performed and the OR where they will assist in the care of hospital based patients. They will observe how the oral and maxillofacial surgeon manages complex facial trauma, temporomandibular joint disorders, cosmetic and functional facial deformities, and oral pathology.
- Candidates who are seeking OMS residency spots (typically D3/D4 from US DMD/DDS graduates)
- Electronic copy of transcripts from dental school needed.
- Current CV
- Complete the Externship application
Scope of training
- Involves 1 week of rotation in the OMS ambulatory clinics, hospital trauma call and exposure to OR procedures.
- Expected to participate in all academic didactic activities during the rotation week.
- Should available to see patients in hospital setting afterhours.
- Partake in hospital rounds, and work under the direction of chief resident/intern on call
- Possibility for overnight stay in the "On-call Room"