The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) guides strategies for integrating diversity and promoting excellence into UMMC’s three mission areas – education, research and health care.
We foster a climate of inclusion throughout our workforce and student body, where respect for different points of views, backgrounds, and cultures are seen as strengths that enable the entire academic health center to benefit from each individual’s unique talent and perspective.
Awards and recognition
- UMMC received the MS Chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives inaugural 2021 Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Award
- UMMC received the Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from Insight into Diversity (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
- Dr. Kimberly Bibb, UMMC's Group on Women in Medicine and Science former board president, was selected to serve as a Member-at-Large on the Association of American Medical College's GWIMS steering committee in 2021.
- The UMMC Chapter of the Group on Women in Medicine and Science won the “2019 GWIMS Leadership Award for an Organization” by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
- The Human Rights Campaign recognized UMMC as a “Top Performer” (2017, 2019, 2020, 2022) and “Leader” (2018) for the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) for inclusive care for LGBTQ populations.
- Dr. Michael Ryan, professor of physiology and biophysics, was named “2019 Diversity Educator of the Year” by the Board of Trustees for the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning.
- In 2017, Dr. Juanyce Taylor, UMMC Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, received the NAMME Diversity Leadership Award by the National Association of Medical Minority Educators, Inc.