2020 Pillars Honorees
Excellence Award - Student/Trainee Category
- Honoree - Marjada Tucker, School of Medicine, Class of 2022
- Honorable Mention - Edgar D. Torres Fernandez, MD; Catherine Lowe, MD
The Excellence Award honors a student, resident, or fellow from any school of UMMC who demonstrates an outstanding commitment to the institution’s goals to promote diversity and inclusion within the institution and through service to the commUNITY.
Inclusion Award - Staff Category
- Honoree - Heather Vaughn, BSN, RN, CCRP
- Honorable Mention - Lucy Varela-Quintero
The Inclusion Award recognizes a full-time or part-time executive/administrative, professional, secretarial and clerical, service and maintenance, skilled crafts, or technical & paraprofessionals staff member that does not hold a faculty position who has shown outstanding leadership in expanding diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Beacon Award - Faculty Category
- Honoree - Mohadetheh Moulana, PhD, School of Medicine, Psychiatry and Human Behavior
- Honorable Mention - Myrna Alexander, MD; LaDonna Northington, DNS
The Beacon Award honors any clinical or non-clinical faculty member with an academic designation or rank who demonstrates inclusive excellence in teaching, instruction, research, or clinical practice at UMMC.
Lifetime Achievement Award - Alumni Category
- Honoree - Richard L. Summers, MD, FACEP
The Lifetime Achievement Award acknowledges an alumni who has made a significant contribution to improving health outcomes in diverse communities in the state of Mississippi.
Esprit De Corps Award - Team, Department or Office Category
- Honoree - Jackson Heart Study
- Honorable Mention - EversCare; Population Health Science; UMMC Addictions Program
The Esprit De Corps Award acknowledges a team, department, or office that demonstrates successful collaboration on efforts to improve outcomes of diverse communities in any of UMMC's mission areas of education, research, and helath care.
Inspiration Award - Community Category
- Honoree - Jim and Donna Barksdale
The Community Inspiration Award recognizes a community member or an organization that helps advance diverse and/or underrepresented communities through servant leadership in the areas of fairness and inclusion.