2019 Pillars Honorees
Excellence Award - Student/Trainee Category
- Honoree - Edgar R. Meyer, MAT, ASB President, School of Graduate Studies in Health Sciences, Class of 2019
- Honorable Mention - Jeremy D. Courtney, MD; Jason C. Pickett, MD
The Excellence Award honors a student, resident, or fellow from any school of UMMC who demonstrates an outstanding commitment to the institution’s goals to promote diversity and inclusion within the institution and through service to the commUNITY.
Inclusion Award - Staff Category
- Honoree - Doris M. Whitaker, MDiv, BBC, Director of UMMC Pastoral Services
- Honorable Mention - E. Shayne Boackle, MHS; Kristin F. Nalls, PhD
The Inclusion Award recognizes a full-time or part-time executive/administrative, professional, secretarial and clerical, service and maintenance, skilled crafts, or technical & paraprofessionals staff member that does not hold a faculty position who has shown outstanding leadership in expanding diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Beacon Award - Faculty Category
- Honoree - Michael J. Ryan, PhD, School of Medicine - Physiology and Biophysics
- Honorable Mention - Erin E. Dehon, PhD; Jefferson D. Parker, PhD; Robin W. Rockhold, PhD, FAPE
The Beacon Award honors any clinical or non-clinical faculty member with an academic designation or rank who demonstrates inclusive excellence in teaching, instruction, research, or clinical practice at UMMC.
Lifetime Achievement Award - Alumni Category
- Honoree - Demondes Haynes, MD, FCCP, Professor, School of Medicine - Pulmonary
The Lifetime Achievement Award acknowledges an alumni who has made a significant contribution to improving health outcomes in diverse communities in the state of Mississippi.
Inspiration Award - Community Category
- Honoree - John J. Jackson, MD
The Community Inspiration Award recognizes a community member or an organization that helps advance diverse and/or underrepresented communities through servant leadership in the areas of fairness and inclusion.