Budget Development

Main Content


Estimated travel costs should normally include and itemize air fare or other mode of transportation, the number of days of per diem, and ground transportation in accordance with UMMC policy.

Indicate the number and estimated cost of trips as well as the destination of each trip (if known) and the number of individuals on each trip. If the exact location is not known, the general geographic location should be specified.

Most sponsors require a statement about the purpose of the proposed travel and its relevance to the sponsored program, especially in connection with foreign travel.

Travel for non-UMMC employees should be budgeted in the appropriate line-item category (i.e., subcontracts, consultant fees).

Planning your trip

Per UMMC's travel policy, employees may use state travel agents to make reservations.

Reimbursement for use of personal vehicle

The current mileage reimbursement rate is $.655 per mile for personal vehicles. Mileage should be calculated from UMMC to the official travel site.

UMMC meal reimbursement rates

  • In-state and out-of-state1 - $41
  • High cost areas2 - $46-$56
1 Meals will be reimbursed only if the travel incurred in in excess of 50 miles one-way from UMMC and an overnight stay is involved.

2 In-state and out-of-state high cost areas are those cities designated in the Federal Register as having a maximum prescribed maximum Per Diem daily rate of $150 or higher.

UMMC will reimburse actual meal costs in those cities on a sliding scale not to exceed the following rates:


Federal Register Per Diem RateUMMC Reimbursement Rate

$1 to $149
$150 to $164
$165 to $179
$180 and up


Alcoholic beverages are not reimbursable. Federal Register Per Diem Rate.


Foreign travel on federal awards

Travel that is to be reimbursed from federal grants and contracts must be booked through U.S. carriers except under the following circumstances:
  • When the use of U.S. carrier service would extend travel time (including delay at origin) by 24 hours or more.
  • When U.S. carriers do not offer nonstop or direct service between origin and destination. However, a U.S. carrier must be used on every portion of the route where it provides service unless, when compared to using a foreign air carrier, such use would:
    • Increase the number of aircraft changes outside of the U.S. by two or more
    • Extend travel time by at least six hours or more
    • Require a connecting time of four hours or more at an overseas interchange point
  • When an Open Skies agreement is in place (EU, Japan, Switzerland and Australia). Use of a foreign carrier is allowed when transportation is between the U.S. and any point in the agreement member state or between two points outside the U.S. provided that:
    • Funding is not provided by the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of a military department
    • No city pair fare exists
      • For the EU agreement, the traveler is exempt from the city pair fare requirement, i.e. a foreign carrier may be used for travel to any point outside of the U.S., but must land in an EU Open Skies agreement member state before traveling beyond the member states.