Student Nurse Externship Program
How to Apply
The following criteria must be met in order to be considered for an externship.
- Complete an online application and submit all required documentation.
- Be actively enrolled in an accredited school of nursing program with the United States.
- Students must be enrolled in a school of nursing in the state of Mississippi. Course registration must be completed at the school in which you are enrolling for the semester (Out of state students who are interested should enroll in an accredited Mississippi School of Nursing and sign-up for the extern course).
- Completion of (2) semesters or (1) academic year as a nursing student.
- Labor & Delivery students who have not completed their OB rotation and are accepted to this unit will need to complete an additional module before the start of the program.
- Must be in good standing with the school of nursing and agree to comply with Mississippi student nurse externship program guidelines.
- Commitment to work full time in efforts to complete a 320 hour requirement with minimal distractions.
- Completion of UMMC’s mandatory Student Externship Orientation (8-hour day).
- Expectation: Student must not already be contracted to another facility following graduation.
Application Open Dates
We will work diligently to notify qualified applicants of their interview schedule late January – Mid February. Final selections will be determined late February – Early March. (The time may be extended pending other positions open).
The program is competitive and we would like to encourage interested students to apply.
- Demonstrate increased proficiency in clinical skills.
- Develop time management and organizational skills.
- Enhance understanding of the role of the professional nurse.
- Gain self-confidence in the role of a professional nurse.
- Acclimate students to UMMC culture.
Nurse Extern Orientation Review
- The extern will attend a student orientation followed by a unit-specific orientation in the respective extern environment.
- Students will meet their preceptor and/or unit educator and review unit expectations.
- Students will participate in team-based activities to initiate thought processes in providing support, encourage innovation and improve morale. Our goal is to help students continue this skill in their respective unit/floors.
Nurse Extern Overall Experience
- An experienced nurse will provide preceptor/mentoring in an assigned clinical area.
- In addition to medication administration, the student or preceptee is expected to participate in therapeutic play (if needed), sitting with the patient (when needed), ensuring foods are acceptable temperatures (as requested), provide baths, linen changes, relief for family/ guardians and perform routine vitals (when directed).
- Students must complete 320 hours.
- A survey MUST be completed at the end of the program to satisfy all requirements.
- A certificate of completion will be presented.
- Insight in making informed decisions regarding specialized practice based in real-time with experienced nurses, patients, and their families.
- Improved self-confidence, learn tactics to improve patient experience, enhance clinical competence and strengthen time management and critical thinking skills.
- Establish personal relationships and build rapport within the UMMC healthcare system.
- Priority job placement in available units. Student must fulfill all extern requirements and may need an acceptable reference from their manager to continue with other employment.
An externship at UMMC will not secure future positions.
How to Apply
Reach out by email for a list of extern opportunities to see what departments interest you the most. Students may choose up to three areas; list areas in order of preference.
|UMMC Students and Employees ONLY ||All Other Nursing Students |
|Log in to your internal Workday portal. |
|Find the Student Nurse Extern on our careers website. (There is only one job posting for all nursing student opportunities, regardless of specialty area.) https://careers.umc.edu |
|Click on UMMC Careers-Find Jobs application on the Workday homepage. ||Locate the Student Nurse Extern Requisition. |
|Click Find Jobs – and Contingent Workers and locate the correct position. |
Complete application and upload resume. Other documents that may be requested at a later date include but are not limited to: letter of good standing, transcripts, required health documents, etc.
Submit your application.
|Complete application and upload resume. Other documents that may be requested at a later date include but are not limited to: letter of interest, transcripts, letter of good standing, required health documents.|
Submit your application.
|Keep your voicemail activated. ||Keep your voicemail activated.|
Please note that applications will be considered complete when all documents are uploaded by the specified date requested.
Opportunities after Externship
Students may continue employment and will be notified upon the appropriate transition phase. All transfers at UMMC are dependent upon the student satisfying all program guidelines. An acceptable reference from the last manager may be requested. Below are available options for students after completion of the externship:
- Student nurse intern
- Hospital technician
- Nursing assistant
- Emergency Department technician
- Unit secretary
Positions are based on availability.