State Medical Response Team
State Medical Response System
The University of Mississippi Medical Center is a partner with the Mississippi State Department of Health to coordinate the State Medical Response System (SMRS). The SMRS falls under ESF-8 (Public Health and Medical Services), which is activated during a declared disaster by the Mississippi governor.
The SMRS has two field hospitals with each having a build-out capacity of providing a 50-bed facility, or can be combined to provide a single facility of over 100 beds during disaster events.
UMMC is a co-primary response agency under ESF-8. During declared state disasters, UMMC will:
- provide medical care personnel when available and coordinate staffing from other healthcare facilities;
- coordinate donated medical supplies and pharmaceuticals;
- provide medical control for emergency medical services when operating outside their normal response area when evacuating patients;
- Mississippi MED-COM will assist with patient movements and bed status reporting;
- UMMC will coordinate patient care for in-hospital, nursing home and other patient care needs and facilitate requests to assist with patient care where needed;
- Mississippi MED-COM will coordinate mobile resources once deployed by MSDH.
If you would like to join our disaster response teams, visit: