B-1 Visas

Main Content

Obtaining B-1 Status

When applying for the B-1 visa from a U.S. consulate and/or obtaining entry to the United States by DHS officials, the scientist should present an original letter from UMMC host/sponsor, on letterhead, stating the purpose of the visit. This letter should:

  • Make clear the purpose of the visit (e.g. to consult with associates in the field) and NOT to work for UMMC.
  • Mention (1) the length of the proposed visit (no longer than six months); (2) that no stipend or salary will be provided and, (3), if applicable, that only travel and/or per diem expenses will be reimbursed.

Please make sure to email a copy of the letter to International Services for final review along with UMMC's B-1/WB statement

If applicable, the scientist should also carry a letter from his or her employer stating that the employer is aware that the scientist is coming to consult with associates at UMMC, and that his or her salary will continue to be paid by the employer or other home country sources.