F-1 Students

Main Content

Maintaining Legal Status

There are some very simple steps you can take to make sure that you maintain lawful F-1 status while in the United States:

  • Keep your passport valid
    Your passport should be valid at all times. Contact your country’s embassy in the United States for information about renewing or extending your passport.
  • Keep your local address updated
    F-1 students are required to report and maintain a local U.S. address with the Department of Homeland Security through SEVIS. Please contact International Services within 10 days of arrival for new students and within 10 days of any address change for all others.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment
    You must be registered as a full-time student each term you are at UMMC. There are some exceptions to the full-time study rule. However, you must obtain special permission from the school and International Services prior to reducing your course load.
  • Get approval before withdrawing from UMMC
    If you decide to withdraw from your program, please request the approval of your school and International Services before doing so. Note: When a student withdraws from school without obtaining proper authorization, he/she is not eligible for a grace period and consequently must leave the country immediately.
  • Get a travel endorsement
    In order to be allowed to re-enter the United States, page 3 of your Form I-20 must be signed by a designated school official (DSO) at International Services. Come by our office at least one week prior to your departure.
  • Get proper employment permission
    Do not engage in any kind of employment without obtaining proper authorization. Once employment is authorized, you must maintain eligibility or you will lose your right to continue employment.
  • Keep your I-20 valid at all times
    Request a new I-20 if you change your program of study and make sure to timely apply for an extension if you will be reaching the completion date on your I-20 soon and need more time to complete your studies.