B-1 Visas

Main Content

Entry into the U.S. in B-1 Status

When being admitted into the United States, the foreign scientist should request that the DHS Immigration Inspector indicate “B-1” on the Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record). To assist the DHS Inspector, the scientist should present the letter from UMMC host, and the home country employer (if applicable).

DHS officials may erroneously annotate “B-2” rather than “B-1” on the Form I-94. Such an error will prevent the scientist from participating in the business activities.

Upon arrival, the scientist must meet with the Office of International Services and provide copies of passport, Form I-94 with proper “B-1” admission.

B-1 Visitors must depart the United States or file an application for an extension of stay on or before the expiration date on their Forms I-94. There is no grace period for individuals in B-1 status. Therefore, failure by the Business Visitor to depart or timely submit an application for an extension of stay will result in an unlawful overstay.

Note: Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a B-1 visa to enter the U.S. When coming to UMMC, however, they must undergo U.S. customs and immigration inspection and obtain evidence that they were admitted in B-1 status. Therefore, when entering the United States, Canadians must obtain either a Form I-94 OR an entry date-stamp in the passport marked “B-1” to indicate that they were admitted in B-1 status.

B-2 status is NEVER appropriate for ANY foreign scientist carrying out research activities in UMMC’s laboratories for any period of time under any circumstances. An individual coming to UMMC for an interview, who was admitted to the United States in B-2 status, CANNOT be reimbursed for travel or per diem expenses.