J-1 Exchange Visitors

Main Content

Extension of Stay

Sponsoring departments that want to extend an exchange visitors program must complete an Application for J-1 Exchange Visitor and choose the "extension of stay" option. The exchange visitor must complete a J-1 Exchange Information Form – Extension Request.

The department should submit both forms to IS at least one month in advance of the expiration date on the exchange visitor’s Form DS-2019. Extensions will normally be granted for the period of time requested, up to the five-year maximum period of stay, assuming the department has sufficient funding.