Patient and Family Advisory Council
Be a voice for patients and families
The UMMC Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) is made up of patients and family members from any UMMC adult hospital or outpatient clinic. The council collaborates with staff, health care providers, and hospital administration on ways to promote high-quality health care centered on the needs of patients and their families. Through their feedback, PFAC members provide insight into the total patient experience.
Supporting pediatric programs at Children’s of Mississippi is the Children's Patient and Family Advisory Council (COM-PFAC). Learn more about Children's PFAC.
Discuss a variety of concerns
PFAC members help improve patient care by seeing the “big picture” beyond their personal experiences. At the same time, they may share their personal stories in meaningful ways. They work together to address a range of patient care concerns. They are able to speak honestly and comfortably in a group setting, while also listening to and respecting the perspectives of others.
To join PFAC
- Be a patient or family member of a UMMC patient within the past year
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a UMMC health care provider
- Complete the interview process
You will be asked to:
- Complete volunteer services training and health requirements
- Attend meetings once month from 6-8 p.m.
- Complete a year of mentorship, after which you can commit to a two-year term
- Contribute time outside meetings for occasional projects, focus groups, and committee work
UMMC depends on feedback from our patients and their family members to improve our quality of care.
Please consider being a voice for other patients by serving on PFAC.
Find out more
If you are interested in learning more about PFAC, please email PFAC@umc.edu.