UMMC Cancer Registry
The UMMC Cancer Registry works to improve patient care by:
- Providing a system to monitor cancer and certain benign diseases diagnosed and/or treated at UMMC.
- Obtaining timely, accurate and complete data on patients.
- Collecting data in a systematic, standardized process that meets state and national accreditation standards.
Data may be used to evaluate patient outcomes and treatment, calculate survival rates, allocate resources, plan services for patients or the community and to report cancer incidence to the Mississippi Cancer Registry as required by Mississippi law.
Data collected includes:
- Tumor (cancer) identification
- Extent (stage) of disease at diagnosis
- Outcomes of treatment (survival)
The UMMC Cancer Registry is accredited by the American College of Surgeons' (ACoS) Commission on Cancer (CoC). Accreditation is granted to facilities that have voluntarily committed to provide the best in cancer diagnosis and treatment and comply with established Commission on Cancer Standards.