Experts recommend that a child’s first dental visit should be scheduled about the same time the first teeth break through the gums, and no later than a child’s first birthday. Early, routine care can set the stage for a lifetime of good dental health. At Children’s of Mississippi it’s easy to make an appointment with a pediatric dentist, a specialist in children’s dental care.
Pediatric dentistry for every child
With clinics located at both the Blair E. Batson Tower at Children's of Mississippi and the School of Dentistry at UMMC, our team sees children aged from birth to 18. As part of a dentistry school, we offer three levels of dental care providers and can recommend the right level for you based on your dental needs. Our providers include:
- Dental students: During their third and fourth years, dental students practice dentistry under the supervision of licensed faculty dentists.
- Residents: These fully licensed dentists are pursuing postdoctoral work in a specialty area. They provide the majority of treatment, all supervised by licensed faculty dentists.
- Faculty dentists: These experienced dentists and clinical instructors serve as both practicing dentists and faculty professors. They provide general and specialty dental care.
We offer routine preventive care, such as exams and cleanings. We also provide services for children with medical conditions that require specialty care, such as general anesthesia for dental procedures. Emergency dental care is available at the Batson Tower around the clock for injuries that damage teeth or knock them out.
Our pediatric dental services include:
- Infant oral health consulting
- Cavity prevention education
- Oral health examination
- Orthodontic evaluation
- Dental cleaning and fluoride treatments
- Digital X-rays
- Sports mouth guards
- Night guards
- Tooth-colored fillings (BPA free)
- Root canals (including primary teeth)
- Space maintainers
- Dental care for children with special medical needs
- Dentistry with nitrous oxide
- Dentistry under sedation
- 24-hour emergency care