Undergraduate Nursing Scholarships
UMMC BSN Workforce Enhancement Scholarship
The University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) offers service scholarships to nursing students in the UMMC Accelerated and Traditional BSN programs who wish to become nurses in qualifying positions at UMMC.
Mississippi Department of Employment Security
The Mississippi Department of Employment Security offers a job training scholarship through the WIN Job Center. Students must apply to their county of residence. The Traditional and Accelerated Baccalaureate Nursing Programs at UMMC School of Nursing are approved programs of study for this job training scholarship for students found eligible for this support. Additional information is available at the MDES website.
Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning
The Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) offers financial assistance to undergraduate and graduate nursing students. These funds are awarded on first come basis. Students may apply before acceptance. For more information about these opportunities, visit the IHL website.
Nursing Education Loan/Scholarship for BSN students (NELB)
Nursing Education Loan/Scholarship for RN-BSN students (NELR)
Nursing and Respiratory Therapy Incentive Loan (NERT)
Mississippi Nurses Foundation Scholarship
The Mississippi Nurses Foundation provides scholarship, stipends, and grants to nursing students and RNs throughout the state of Mississippi who are pursuing nursing degrees. Visit the MNF website for additional information.
HRSA Nursing Scholarship
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) offers a nursing scholarship through a grant, which pays tuition, fees, other education costs and a living stipend to students in accredited RN training programs. In exchange, upon graduation, scholars work for at least two years at a facility, such as a health center, rural health clinic, nursing home or hospital, that has a critical shortage of nurses.
Visit the HRSA site for more information.
There are two parts to this application:
- Online application (external link)
- Supplemental forms and required documentation to download, complete, print and mail or fax.
If you have questions, contact HRSA directly at 1-800-221-9393. Please do not contact the UMMC School of Nursing in regards to this scholarship.
School of Nursing (SON) Scholarships & Awards
The School of Nursing scholarships are awarded during the spring semester of each academic year. The SON scholarship season opens in February and awards are disbursed in May of each year. Students who are selected to receive a scholarship are asked to attend our annual Honors Day program, which is held in the first week of May.
Students are notified the internal scholarship application process is open by email from the Director of Student Life when applications become available. Students are responsible for providing all supporting information and documentation required for applications. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed or considered. Students are responsible for ensuring their applications are completed by the application deadline, they will not receive notification if their application is incomplete.
Scholarships are awarded in four categories:
- Donor selected scholarships- Donors determine the recipients of these scholarships based on application selection.
- Faculty selected scholarships- Program faculty determine the recipients of these scholarships based on pre-determined criteria.
- Program application scholarships- Although scholarships are not generally awarded upon entrance, several scholarships are determine based on information provided on a student’s entrance application/ranking during their acceptance cycle.
- Application scholarships- Recipients are selected by SON scholarship committee upon review of all complete applications. Students review scholarship applications and determine their eligibility to apply based on the criteria outlined on the application.
For scholarship descriptions, visit the School of Nursing Student Handbook.
For questions about Awards and Scholarships within the School of Nursing, please contact the Director of Student Life.