Program in Psychotherapy
The Program in Psychotherapy (PIP) is a new training initiative in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at UMMC designed to enhance and modernize psychotherapy training.
What’s new in the classroom?
- M2 & M3: Increased classroom exposure to psychotherapy, including evidence base and methods
- PGY1: Motivational interviewing and client-centered counseling
- PGY2: Brief dynamic and interpersonal psychotherapy
- Incorporation of all PGY psychotherapy seminars into a single integrated course
What’s new outside the classroom?
- Group therapy
Expanded opportunities for training in group psychotherapy
- Media club
Quarterly media club events to foster critical thinking and practical application of relevant concepts
- Supervision suides
Materials to support greater integration of classroom and applied learning
Timeline for implementation
- 2018-19 (the catch-up year)
The M2, M3, and PGY1 classes will follow the curriculum as designed during the current academic year. The PGY2 class will receive the entirety of the curriculum on a slightly delayed schedule. The PGY3 class will receive the updated psychodynamic curriculum. The PGY4 class will receive additional group therapy training.
Full, regular implementation of PIP