Medical Students

Main Content

Medical Student Education

The Division of Medical Student Education in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior organizes and administers two core medical school curriculum courses and various elective courses:

Course No.Course TitleContact HoursYear
628Medical Neuroscience & Behavior II 72

Fall/spring,
2nd year

631Psychiatry Clerkship200

Clerkship,
3rd year

632Junior Elective in Psychiatry  80

M3 Elective,
3rd year

653Senior Elective in General Psychiatry

80/2 weeks
160/4 weeks

M4 Elective,
4th year

658Senior Elective in Sleep Medicine80/2 weeks
160/4 weeks

 M4 Elective,
4th year

659Behavioral Health Specialty Clinics80/2 weeks
160/4 weeks

 M4 Elective,
4th year

661Senior Elective in Acute Care Psychiatry80/2 weeks
160/4 weeks

 M4 Elective,
4th year

662Senior Elective in Adult Inpatient Psychiatry80/2 weeks
160/4 weeks

 M4 Elective,
4th year

663Senior Elective in Addiction Psychiatry80/2 weeks
160/4 weeks

M4 Elective,
4th year 

Curriculum

CONJ 628 (Medical Neuroscience and Behavior 2)

Medical Neuroscience & Behavior-2 is a 72 hour course that focuses in depth on frequently encountered neurological and mental illnesses using knowledge of neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, neuropathology, typical and atypical behavior acquired in CONJ 611 (Medical Neuroscience & Behavior-1). It integrates material from neuropathology, neuropharmacology, psychoneuroimmunology, neurology, neurosurgery, and psychiatry in order to prepare students for clerkship, and future medical practice. The material covered in this course is taught using a flipped classroom approach combined with guided case analysis and small group case-based learning.

PSY 631 (Junior Clerkship in Psychiatry)

This four-week course of approximately 200 hours is designed to introduce the medical student to the clinical practice of psychiatry in both inpatient and outpatient settings. In addition, this course will practically reinforce the theoretical principles of the psychiatric interview, differential diagnosis and individual treatment plans for a wide variety of patients. The bulk of time in this course (80-85%) will be spent in clinical settings under the supervision of attending psychiatrists and psychologists as well as senior residents in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior. The remaining time (15-20%) will be spent in learning using online self-directed resources, didactics in clinical psychopharmacology, formal case presentations, discussions, and write-ups.

The clerkship consist of one assigned inpatient rotation in either the Adult Inpatient Unit (7 West), the Medical Psychiatric Inpatient Unit (7 East), or the Child and Adolescent Inpatient Unit (3 Circle). In addition, students will spend one week on outpatient rotation in either the Behavioral Health Specialty Clinics or the Child and Adolescent Clinic in the Center for the Advancement of Youth (CAY). Finally, students have a one week assignment in acute care psychiatry with either adults (Adult Consult-Liaison Psychiatry or Psychiatry Emergency Services) or children and adolescents (Child and Adolescent Consult-Liaison Psychiatry or Psychiatry Emergency Services).

PSY 632 (Junior Elective in Psychiatry)

This two-week course of approximately 80 hours is designed to provide medical students interested in the clinical practice of psychiatry with the opportunity to extend and deepen their exposure to the field. In addition, this course will provide additional experience and training in the theoretical principles of the psychiatric interview, differential diagnosis and individual treatment plans for a wide variety of patients. The bulk of time in this course (85-90%) will be spent in clinical settings under the supervision of attending psychiatrists and psychologists as well as senior residents in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior. The remaining time (10-15%) will be spent in discussions of advanced reading assignments with faculty in the Department. 

The elective is flexible. Students may choose to serve on any of the Department’s units, including the Adult Inpatient Unit (7 West), the Medical Psychiatric Inpatient Unit (7 East), the outpatient Behavioral Health Specialty Clinics, Child/Adolescent Psychiatry Inpatient Unit (3-Circle) and Center for the Advancement of Youth (CAY) or, Consult-Liaison Services and Psychiatric Emergency Service.  Students interested in this elective, should rank-order their preferences and the MSE Office will do its best to match the student with their first choice. However, please be advised that the availability of a particular service will depend on the number of M3 clerks (PSYCH631) already assigned. If adding another student to that service would make teaching difficult, students taking PSYCH632 will be assigned to a lower preference service.

PSY 653 (Senior Elective in General Psychiatry)

This is a month-long elective in which students may propose their own plan of study which must be approved by the MSE Office prior to the start of the block. Opportunities are available for students to design, with guidance, a clinical elective that meets their specific needs, e.g., combining inpatient and outpatient work, or participating in ongoing clinically relevant basic research projects within the department. Such projects can be supervised by faculty members in any of the disciplines (psychiatry, psychology and research) represented within the department.

PSY 658 (Senior Elective in Sleep Medicine)

This is a four-week rotation in psychiatry where fourth year medical students will gain experience in the Sleep Disorders Center at UMMC. The rotation exposes the student to the evaluation, differential diagnosis, and treatment of sleep disorders. Under close faculty supervision the student participates in initial patient evaluations, follow-up appointments, and reviewing polysomnograms.

PSY 659 (Behavioral Health Specialty Clinics)

This is a four-week rotation at the UMMC Behavior Health Specialty Clinics where fourth year medical students will gain experience in training and experience in the treatment of patients with a wide range of acute and chronic psychiatric disorders. The student attends daily clinics, as well as scheduled teaching sessions. He/she gains experience in all modalities used in outpatient psychiatric care and performs initial evaluations on a select number of patients, and patients presenting for weekly follow-up visits. The student may also choose to participate in other clinic activities, e.g., groups. The student also learns about the coordination of ancillary services, including vocational rehabilitation, social services and becomes more familiar other agencies offering service to Psychiatric patients. The student assumes a higher level of responsibility and accountability within the limits set forth by the School of Medicine. The student is expected to be closely involved in the total care of each patient including medication and therapy management. Close supervision by attending faculty is provided throughout the block.

PSY 661 (Senior Elective in Acute Care)

This month-long course of approximately 160 hours is designed to provide senior medical students interested in the clinical practice of psychiatry with the opportunity to extend and deepen their exposure to consult/liaison psychiatry and psychiatric emergency services. Students will function as sub interns conducting independent interviews, proposing individualized treatment plans, arranging admission to psychiatric inpatient facilities when necessary, and developing transfer plans. In addition, senior medical students serve as mentors to junior clerks, reviewing notes and presentations prior to review by residents and attendings.

The bulk of time in this course (80%) will be spent in clinical settings under the supervision of attending psychiatrists and psychologists as well as senior residents in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior. The remaining time (20%) will be spent on a capstone project assignment. The topic of the project will be identified at the start of the elective in collaboration with unit attendings and will focus on an advanced topic in mental health care. Capstone projects will be presented to faculty and residents at the conclusion of the elective.

PSY 662 (Senior Elective in Adult Inpatient Psychiatry)

This month-long course of approximately 160 hours is designed to provide senior medical students interested in the clinical practice of psychiatry with the opportunity to extend and deepen their exposure to adult inpatient psychiatry. Students will function as sub interns managing 4-5 patients and conducting independent interviews, proposing individualized treatment plans, arranging social work meetings and family conferences, and developing aftercare plans. In addition, senior medical students serve as mentors to junior clerks, reviewing notes and presentations prior to review by residents and attendings.

The bulk of time in this course (80%) will be spent in clinical settings under the supervision of attending psychiatrists and psychologists as well as senior residents in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior. The remaining time (20%) will be spent on a capstone project assignment. The topic of the project will be identified at the start of the elective in collaboration with unit attendings and will focus on an advanced topic in mental health care. Capstone projects will be presented to faculty and residents at the conclusion of the elective. 

PSY 663 (Senior Elective in Addiction Psychiatry)

This month-long course of approximately 160 hours is designed to provide senior medical students interested in the clinical practice of psychiatry with the opportunity to extend and deepen their exposure to adult inpatient psychiatry. Students will function as sub interns managing 4-5 patients and conducting independent interviews, proposing individualized treatment plans, arranging social work meetings and family conferences, and developing aftercare plans. In addition, senior medical students serve as mentors to junior clerks, reviewing notes and presentations prior to review by residents and attendings. 

The bulk of time in this course (80%) will be spent in clinical settings under the supervision of attending psychiatrists and psychologists as well as senior residents in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior.  The remaining time (20%) will be spent on a capstone project assignment. The topic of the project will be identified at the start of the elective in collaboration with unit attendings and will focus on an advanced topic in mental health care. Capstone projects will be presented to faculty and residents at the conclusion of the elective.

Resources