How to Apply
The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology offers two Ph.D. programs
- The Cell and Molecular Biology Ph.D. Program
- The Microbiology and Immunology Ph.D. Program
Admissions Criteria to both Ph.D. Programs requires the following:
- Baccalaureate degree in a relevant scientific discipline
- Transcripts from all previous colleges and universities attended
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Three letters of recommendation
- A personal statement
- The GRE is not required for the Cell and Molecular Biology Ph.D. Program or the Microbiology and Immunology Ph.D. Program
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL, IELTS or PTEA scores (for more information about this requirement, please review the information in the Admissions Criteria link)
How to apply
The application for Graduate Studies at UMMC is an online process. If you are interested in applying please click here. Click the links below for additional information about the application process:
Financial support and tuition
Generous stipends are available for graduate students throughout the department. Currently, the stipends are $28,000 per year.
Tuition for all graduate students is covered by the graduate school. The cost of books and dissertation preparation is assumed by the student.
Numerous job opportunities for spouses of students are available at UMMC and in the metro Jackson area.
The overall cost of living in Jackson is lower than the average cost across the United States. Stipends are adequate to cover modest living expenses. There are numerous apartments and small houses available for rent within walking distance of the campus.