Current Medical Students
The Department of Surgery allows college and high school students (age 16+) interested in the medical field an opportunity to participate as an educational observer by shadowing a surgeon in a hospital setting. Individuals who want to be an observer will need to have a designated sponsor. The sponsor must be a UMMC employee who has accepted responsibility for the supervision of the educational observer for the duration of the observation experience.
The observer must be onboarded through the Non-Employee Personnel Action Request (NEPAR) online portal. Sponsors and observers should begin the NEPAR onboarding process 2 to 4 weeks prior to the requested start date. Observers must be prepared to do the following in the onboarding process:
- Provide documentation of these health/immunization requirements:
- MMR, Varicella, Tdap, Hep B, flu vaccine
- TB Skin or blood test if observing for 4 days or more. If observing 3 days or less, only a TB questionnaire is required.
- Complete all required forms within the NEPAR portal. Observers age 16-17 must obtain written parental consent.
- Obtain a UMMC-issued ID badge at the HR Service Center and return the badge at the conclusion of the observation experience.
- If observing for more than 3 days, complete Basic Orientation training and Non-Employee Orientation Attestation as directed in the NEPAR portal.
- If observing for more than 3 days, provide fingerprints for a criminal background check through the HR Service Center. The processing fee is $50 and can be paid by cash, credit card or money order.