Medical Radiation Oncology
Medical Radiation Oncology Residency (4-Year Program)
Radiation Oncology's medical radiation oncology residency program provides physicians preparing to practice full-time radiation oncology with a comprehensive clinical training program and introduces them to clinical research. It aims to prepare residents for any type of practice setting, and to ensure each residency is clinically competent in radiation oncology and ready to be a radiation oncologist committed to patient care.
The program accepts candidates who have successfully completed their PGY-1 training in internal medicine, general surgery or a comparable field listed in the American Medical Association’s Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Applicants who have not completed their PGY-1 year may apply to a preliminary program that enables them to complete their first post-graduate year at UMMC.
Radiation Oncology meets all the requirements of the American Board of Radiology (ABR) and ACGME. The program builds on a background in general medicine and includes world-class clinical and didactic training in all aspects of radiation oncology. In addition to offering clinical training, it offers individualized training, helping each resident to achieve specific goals in preparing for an academic or private practice career.
Radiation Oncology's residency program participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). All applications will be considered by a committee of faculty members.
- Provide a minimum of three letters of recommendation. This should include letters from radiation oncologists who personally know the applicant through clinical rotations or collaboration on cancer biology research;
- Complete USMLE Step 2 by end of the Match year;
- Be eligible to become licensed to practice medicine in a United States jurisdiction; and
- Be viewed more favorably if they have published research experience.
For more information
- Dr. Srinivasan Vijayakumar, Program Director
- Dr. Satya Packinanthan, Associate Program Director
- Alice P. Lee, Program Administrator