Welcome From Our Director
Thank you for your interest in our residency program! There are many reasons why I believe our program is an excellent place to train:
- Low felllow-to-resident ratio. Don’t let anyone fool you, whenever a fellow is in a case, it affects the operative experience of the resident. Fortunately, we have a resident focused program with one of the lowest number of fellows for a university based, academic training program. This means that residents receive uninterrupted, one-on-one training from our faculty.
- High case volume. As the only residency training program in the state, our residents are above the 90th percentile for case logs as compared to other programs in the country.
- Four residents per class. With only four residents per class, our residents truly become like a family after five years of training, which can be more difficult in larger training programs.
- Centralized training. Residents get the opportunity to training in both the university and community private practice settings, however no location is further than a 10-minute drive away.
- Low cost of living. The median cost of a home in Mississippi is less than $130,000, meaning our residents can often afford to own a home over the course of their five years of training.
- Research. There are numerous opportunities to participate in local and national multi-center research studies. Our residents can do as little or as much research as they desire after completing their graduation project.
We are committed to pushing the boundaries of adult education and growing together as teachers and learners. We do expect more and will continue to strive to create a love for the discipline and a desire for lifelong learning. In short, we want to help you reach your potential and become excellent orthopaedic surgeons. We hope that you will take some time to look at the website and consider taking a closer look by coming to see things first-hand. Let us know if you have any specific questions.
Matthew L. Graves, Professor
Director, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program