About Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology's Division of Research and Academic Affairs is a resource for all our departmental faculty, fellows, residents and staff.
The division includes a director, clinical research manager and research nurses for all departmental research projects.
Working as a consultative resource to the division is the Research Group of faculty and others which meets monthly and as needed to review progress and possibilities.
Functions of the division include:
- The goal of our research department is to create a unified research entity of basic, translational, and clinical scientists, medical doctors, clinical and health professionals, and social scientists to advance and promote the care and health of women and children in Mississippi.
- Evaluate the potential for any proposed research project to be performed under the auspices of the OB/GYN Department before any agreement is made for the undertaking - to function as a clearinghouse for any potential research endeavor. This includes evaluating the feasibility, staff needs, proposed budget, coordination with ongoing work and the potential value to the department and our faculty and staff.
- Provide seamless assistance for departmental faculty and staff involved in a research project from its inception, consideration of possible research structure, help with reference materials, development of IRB protocol and application, interaction with legal and research entities within the institution to facilitate research contracting, biostatistics evaluation of the study structure and data sheet, help in implementation, collection of data and evaluation, preparation for presentation and publication, and submission of articles to professional journals.
- Function as a reservoir of information collated from faculty and staff on an ongoing basis regarding any publications (submitted, accepted, rejected, revised and resubmitted), presentations, awards and other information relevant to constructing an accurate and complete academic and research annual report for Department of OB/GYN activities.
- Identify research and grant opportunities which will help fulfill our department's research mission, bring to the attention of faculty and staff items for their consideration.
For more information
- Dr. Laura Coats, PhD, RDN
Assistant Professor and Director of OBGYN Research Division
(601) 984-1842 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ramona T. Pleasant, MS, RDN, LDN, CNSC
Clinical Research Manager
(601)-984-5316 or email@example.com