About the Division
Hospital Medicine involves in the acute medical care of a hospitalized patient by a medical provider who specializes in inpatient care. The term “Hospitalist” was first coined in 1996, and since then the field of Hospital Medicine has expanded and developed at a rapid rate.
Hospitalists now play a dominant role in the care of patients admitted to hospitals. Hospitalists are at the forefront of teaching in academic medical centers and have assumed a major role as clinician-educators. They also manage the front lines of patient care and are actively working to improve the quality of patient care through research, development, and institution of quality improvement and patient safety initiatives. The hospitalists at the University of Mississippi Medical Center are local, national and international leaders in this evolving field of medicine.
Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
The focus of the Division of Hospital Medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) is multifaceted, including provision of the highest quality of patient care, ensuring safety for all patients, improving services and efficiency of care, contributing to educational programs for medical students/residents and other trainees, assisting in hospital administrative functions related to delivery of care, and developing the role of the hospitalist within UMMC and the community.
We are committed to putting each patient first by consistently providing an outstanding hospital patient care experience that we would expect for our families and for ourselves.
- Our hospital medicine experts manage the complex medical care of hospitalized patients.
- Our division experts provide care to hospitalized patients with life-challenging illnesses with a focus on reducing pain and suffering while improving quality of life.
- Our division specialists lead and collaborate in multidisciplinary medical teams to enhance quality of care, ensure patient safety, improve patient outcomes, as well as improve hospital processes such as length of hospital stay and costs.
- Our structured methods of collaboration encourage transparency of behavior, communications, and accountability.
To become a nationally recognized University based hospital medicine program, driven by a passion for clinical excellence and unparalleled customer service.
Each member of the UMMC hospitalist team strongly believes in hospital ethics providing our top tier health services with integrity, compassion, accountability, respect and excellence with our patients’ health and expectations always put first.
- Integrity – Doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
- Compassion – Be empathetic to the needs of others and sympathize with their situation.
- Accountability – Take ownership for how actions impact outcomes.
- Respect – We value others and embrace diversity.
- Excellence – Take personal pride in exceeding expectations.
Contact the Division of Hospital Medicine
- Division of Hospital Medicine
Department of Medicine
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 N. State St.
Jackson, MS 39216
Fax: (601) 815-9356