Doctor of Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is a dynamic profession that presents many opportunities to promote health and provide rehabilitation through clinical practice, education and critical inquiry.
At UMMC, students enrolled in the doctor of physical therapy degree program have the unique educational advantages afforded by being a part of Mississippi's only academic medical center.
The mission of the Department of Physical Therapy is to prepare an autonomous physical therapist who will be effective in an interprofessional health care environment to improve lives by demonstrating knowledge, skills, values, and behaviors consistent with a doctoring profession and incorporating evidence-based health care delivery in culturally and socio-economically diverse communities.
Cultivating human movement systems experts for a healthier Mississippi.
- Opportunities for interdisciplinary activities through student government, volunteer activities and class assignments;
- Outstanding, personable, knowledgeable and easily accessible faculty with multiple credentials and clinical backgrounds including acute care, cardiopulmonary, pediatrics, neurology, sports, geriatrics, orthopedics and women's health;
- Four, eight-week clinical education experiences in a wide variety of institutions across the country;
- Exposure to physical therapy residents in neurology, pediatrics and sports completing programs on the campus;
- A state-of-the-art educational setting;
- A friendly student-oriented atmosphere;
- An annual Employment Opportunities Day open to all enrolled students;
- A curriculum focused on clinical care; and
- An excellent licensure exam pass rate and employment rate following graduation.