Doctor of Physical Therapy Admission Requirements
* Due to the impacts of COVID-19, many universities implemented grading policies for the Spring 2020 semester that included the option of pass/fail designations. The Department of Physical Therapy requires a letter grade (A, B, C) for all prerequisite courses and strongly encourages the use of letter grades for all coursework completed. Please contact the Department with questions.
To be eligible for admission into the Physical Therapy doctoral degree program, candidates must have the following:
- Provide evidence of observation in a minimum of two (2) physical therapy clinical departments or practices for total of 40 hours. Additional hours and sites are considered beneficial to enhance the applicant’s knowledge of the professions. A maximum of 20 hours may be used from any one (1) site. Hours earned through employment will not be accepted and no more than 20 hours total can be applied to the observation requirement from hours earned during internship experiences. All observation hours must be completed in the current year of application and documentation forms must be received by the application deadline. Click here for the form. Note: form will be uploaded as part of the application process in Workday once completed.
- Past observation hours may be placed on curriculum vitae.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- An overall minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants accepted usually have a higher than minimum grade point average.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for prerequisite courses
- A minimum grade of C in each prerequisite course.
- At least 5 of the 8 prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the fall semester in which the application is submitted. Applicants accepted for admission must successfully complete all prerequisite courses by the end of the subsequent spring semester, with final grades documented by the official transcript.
- An official report of Graduate Record Examination Scores.
- All application and support documents (including resume, essay, and transcripts) completed and submitted to the Office of Enrollment Management by the admissions deadline.
- Read and follow application instructions prior to completing the application.
- Prerequisite coursework requirements
- Click here to access DPT application instructions for the class entering May 2023. (Instructions for the class entering May 204 will be posted late Spring/early summer).
Click here to apply
*Note. Observation hours will once again be required for students entering May 2024 and later.