Oral Antiviral Treatment
If you are a UMMC patient interested in oral antivirals, please consult your UMMC provider for a referral.
To qualify for treatment, UMMC patients must:
- Have tested positive for COVID-19
- Be within 5 days from beginning of symptoms
- Be at least 12 years old and weigh at least 88 pounds
- Have mild to moderate symptoms, such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath
- Be at high risk of getting worse
About Oral Antivirals
The FDA has authorized PAXLOVID and MOLNUPIRAVIR for some adults and children with mild to moderate COVID-19. When started early in the disease, treatment with these agents may help keep people from getting worse. The treatment is not approved for cases that have advanced past the mild to moderate stage, so it’s important to begin treatment as soon as possible.
Note: Paxlovid and Molnupiravir should not be used for patients who are hospitalized with COVID-19, require oxygen therapy for COVID-19, or have an increase in baseline oxygen flow rate due to COVID-19.