Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Are financial aid advisors available for individual appointments?
Yes. If students are experiencing financial difficulty, they can schedule an appointment with their financial aid counselor by emailing them or calling the Financial Aid Office.

How are student budgets constructed?
Student budgets consist of tuition, fees, cost of required books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and personal expenses. In general, fees and books come from your school's Student Affairs office, and tuition is set by Mississippi Institution of Higher Learning. Room and board costs are constructed using Bureau of Labor Statistics data for specific geographical regions as well as metro area apartment guide. This is supplemented with data from annual surveys sent to our student body.

I have prior educational loans that need to be deferred. Who processes my forms?
UMMC will report your enrollment to the National Student Clearinghouse and your lender will be notified. If you still need deferment paperwork, please contact the Office of Registrar.

How many credits are needed in order to receive financial aid?
Students are required to be matriculated in a program of study at least half-time for the period seeking financial assistance. Half-time is defined as six (6) credits for undergraduate students and five (5) credits for graduate students.

How can I apply for more financial aid?
Students who have room in their budgets can request additional funds by completing the Request for Account Adjustment form.

How do I know if I have room in my budget?
Subtract your total financial aid award from your cost of attendance. Your individual budget figures along with your financial aid award can be obtained by logging into Workday.

Can I request to lower my financial aid award? If so, how?
Yes. Students can request to decrease their previously accepted Financial Aid by completing the Request for Account Adjustment Form.

How do I change my financial aid address?
Currently enrolled students should contact the Registrar's Office.

Are non-citizens eligible for financial aid?
A student must be a citizen or eligible non-citizen to receive aid from the Federal Student Aid programs. The general requirement for eligible non-citizens is that they be in the United States for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a citizen or lawful permanent resident, as evidenced by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Students should review their school's catalog for more specific information regarding citizenship requirements.